Nutritional support during cancer treatment
We learn how nutritional support can help manage side effects during cancer treatment.
A cancer diagnosis is a life-changing event. As you navigate this challenging time, it may be reassuring to know that your reactions are natural but also to be informed that there are different ways to manage the emotional and physical impacts of your condition. Focusing on nutritional support will help your body during treatment.
Treatment options for cancer may take a lot out of your body and the side effects can make this harder. These treatment options may cause you to lose your appetite and energy, which could put you at increased risk for malnutrition. Muscle weakness can also be an adverse effect that can impact your ability to perform daily activities.
The good news is many side effects can now be well-managed if you discuss them with your treating team. Let’s talk about nutritional support.
Impact of cancer on the body
Cancer and cancer treatments can result in malnutrition as they may:1
- Affect taste, smell, appetite, and the ability to eat enough food to absorb the nutrients from food which can cause malnutrition.
As a result, an individual may feel weak, tired, and unable to fight infections or even finish cancer treatment.
Importance of nutrition
An important tool in adopting a balanced diet is eating the right foods before, during, and after cancer treatment, as well as drinking plenty of water.
When you have cancer, your body’s requirements for nutrients increase which highlights the importance of including a variety of foods from all food groups daily to assist you to get all the essential nutrients that your body needs.
Careful food choices can help to support your immune system and assist in building body tissues.
- L-Glutamine, an amino acid, is particularly useful in helping your body in recovery and repair of tissues after periods of physical stress.
- Protein plays a key role in maintaining all body functions, as it makes up critical cell structures in muscle, organs, blood cells, connective tissue, and skin. You need protein to heal body tissues. Cancer patient’s protein requirement is in most cases higher than the normal daily recommended amount. Good sources of protein include fish, poultry, lean red meat, egg, low-fat dairy products, nuts and nut butters, dried beans, peas and lentils as well as soy foods.
The role of nutritional supplements for cancer patients
While undergoing cancer treatment, eating the right amount of protein and kilojoules is important for healing, fighting infection and having enough energy.
Nutrition therapy is used to help cancer patients keep a healthy body weight, maintain strength, keep body tissue healthy and decrease the side effects both during and after treatment.1
Whilst nutritional supplement drinks are not meant to be the primary source of cancer patients nutrition, they can help patients get the nutrition that they need. Nutrient supplements provide protein, fat, carbohydrates, fibre, vitamins and minerals.
It’s important to get nutritional advice from your healthcare professional prior to using any supplements if you are suffering from any type of cancer.
Lifegain is an ALL-IN-ONE Advanced Nutritional Supplement that can assist those with illness by providing high levels of nutrients that the body needs.
- High in energy.
- Supports the immune system.
- High in protein to assist with regaining physical strength.
- Provides support for normal psychological function.
- High in omega-3 fatty acids as well as the combination of key nutrients offers unique support for body functions affected by illness.
- The shake format is easy and convenient to take especially in cases of loss of appetite.
- Lactose- and gluten-free which may address intolerances which can rise during treatment and management thereof.
Lifegain has also introduced Lifegain L-Glutamine powder, which helps to support the body with recovery and repair during periods of physical stress and trauma.
Learn more about Lifegain: lifegain.co.za/what-is-lifegain/
MY LIFEGAIN STORY
“My wife started to regain some of the weight she lost and her energy levels notably increase. Thank you Lifegain for these amazing products that are providing relief to my wife in these difficult circumstances. You are lifesavers!”
Click here to find out how Lifegain helped Linda Smith who was diagnosed with Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer.
“I and doing extremely well because of the right nutrition. During treatment, I stopped eating and lost 22 kg. Lifegain is what sustained me during that period, and I have continued using it right up to now.”