The first South African Congress of Oncology (SACO) was held at the Cape Town International Convention Centre in August.
The inaugural South African Congress of Oncology reflects the strength in multi-disciplinary teamwork. It kicked-off with two pre-congress workshops: supportive and palliative care focussing on communication, and neuro-oncology in collaboration with Society for Neuro-Oncology Sub-Saharan Africa (SNOSSA) and Paediatric Brain Tumour Workgroup (PBTW).
The first Archbishop Desmond Tutu Distinguished Lecture was delivered by Prof David Stones, retiring HOD of Paediatric Oncology at the University of Free State, speaking on the role and need for early diagnoses.
Our international speakers came from all over the world.
- Prof Michael Boyer (Medical oncologist – University of Sydney, Australia).
- Prof Cai Grau (Clinical oncologist at Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark).
- Prof Peter Hoskin (Clinical oncologist at Mount Vernon Hospital Cancer Centre, Middlesex, England).
- Dr Normand Laperriere (Radiation oncologist at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Canada).
- Prof Marianne van de Wetering (Paediatric oncologist at Princess Máxima Center for Pediatric Oncology, Utrecht, The Netherlands).
- Dr Daniel Vorobiof (Medical oncologist and now medical director of Belong.life, Israel).
Wide representation and good support
Our local speakers, chairs and delegates represented clinical and radiation oncology; paediatric oncology; gynaecologic oncology; oncology nursing; oncology pharmacists; radiation therapy radiographers and physicists in medicine and biology.
Friends, colleagues and new-found relationships were consolidate through sharing knowledge, discussions in the trade centre, around the dinner table, and on the dance floor with excellent entertainment.
There was a wide representation from patient advocacy groups and trade, which strengthened the congress with the patients for whom we fight and work for, and the means with which we do so.
With multi-disciplinary teams, we work together for our patients and move forward with focus for oncology.